Friday, May 29, 2015

The Evolution of a Runner / Part Two: All the Pain a 5k Can Bring!

The Evolution of a Runner / Part Two: All the Pain a 5k Can Bring!

Hello everyone, this is Adam Gonzalez. In my last article, I wrote about some of my training tips I used to prepare myself for a 5k. This time around, I would personally like to share my ups and downs. I remember being nervous, nauseous, tired, my feet were killing me, my face was bright red, I was both sweating and freezing at the same time. And that was before I even started the race.

To be honest, I felt as if I had no business running a 5k. I was in way over my head. I did not fit the bill in regards to being a runner. I have always had this image of runners, who were in just in the best shape of their lives and lived to run. The image that I had of myself, was of someone who could throw down at an all you can eat Buffet. My biggest hurdle was not the race; it was that I cared way too much on how I thought people saw me.

I will have to admit, something that happened to me after I finished my 5k. For the very first time in my life, I actually felt good about myself! It was an overall feeling of accomplishment. Yes, it was just a 5k, but it put me on the path that I'm on right now and I would not trade it for anything! It was not until I had a moment of clarity when I realized; that I was not doing this for anyone but myself! I started to use portion control to lose weight and I started to cut down on the garbage I put in my body. It did not take long before I started to see positive changes in myself.

I hope you guys did not have those thoughts that I had; it's a pretty shitty feeling. If you did, like I said earlier, you are not alone! I'm here writing this article and hoping that people will make a change in their life. You can begin right now, Reading this article is a great start! I don't need to be a nutritionist or a dietitian to know that I should not put all the junk food in my body. I am writing this article hoping to inspire, motivate and most of all be a friend. I can take criticism, but I have been down that road before and I know with all my heart that we all must crawl before we walk.

Change is scary, But it can also lead you on the path to great things. I was never one to take chances, because I was too afraid of the end result. Regardless of the outcome, I never before took a chance on anything or even myself for that matter. I'm not going to sugar coat it, Running is hard! All the pain you feel when you run and the injuries that come along with it, totally sucks! But it goes away, I can assure you that. Running to me is like life, everyone has good days and bad days. Running can be seen the same way. You will have good runs and you will have bad runs. But I promise, with me backing your play, I will do everything in my power to make sure you have more good days than bad and definitely more good runs than bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment