Thursday, May 28, 2015

Fill What's Empty, Empty What is Full

Fill What's Empty, Empty What is Full

I just recently saw this film on Direct TV called "Rescue Dawn" with Christian Bale and I was inspired by this man's story as well as the actors playing these very unromantic but realistic roles.

The film is based on a true story about a man, a US fighter pilots--Dieter Dengler who struggles to survive after his plane was shot down during war. He was found, tortured and sent to a prison camp run by peasants. The film is not easy to watch, but the meaning is powerful because he is the only one out of five other POW's/men (some of whom have been in the camp for over two years) that demands he/they get out! Dieter said, "we must figure out a way to escape, no matter what it takes, cuz I will not die here."

I couldn't help but think--this is how many of use feel sometimes: Trapped by our own "peasant-like" attitude those small, defeated and fearful thoughts and feelings that keep us imprisoned in our minds and thus lives.

"Just stay alive, just get by and try to make ends meet, that's all I ask" We find ourselves saying. But that's not inspiring nor does it reveal any HEART or Passion!

This man, Dieter was passionate about his freedom and he wasn't about to sit back and let his freedom be taken from him--especially when the compromise meant slow death! Am I starting to make the hair on your head stand up? I hope so.

Through a series of events, including torture, starvation etc-- he eventually escapes to the jungle and barely making it out there alone--he is finally seen by a US aircraft. When he arrives back home (there is more to the story so you'll have to see it for yourself) they ask him what he has to say and here's what he says,

"Fill what's empty, empty what is full and scratch where it itches."

I found this statement to be hysterical and yet meaningful because if it's simplicity. Also because this man had just undergone what many of us will NEVER experience-- thank goodness! And he came out alive, a lot thinner but alive with his mind in tact. He knew the value of LIFE!

Dieter understood that life is worth something--it's worthy living! Dieter was a German/American and fought as a pilot because he loved his country--and because of the freedom he was given to choose his profession and what he wanted to devote his mind to!

But how many of us forget this truth? How many of us still go about our day claiming we are victims to our situation, Do you ever find yourself saying these things inside or aloud to others:

- It's not my fault,"

- I can't do that,

- they won't let me do that,

- I wish I could but I am too old,

- I am too young to do that...

- I wasn't born into the right family

- I don't have the money!

And on and on. You get the point. These excuses we create ourselves and it is up to us to choose something different. If Dieter Dengler can manage to RESCUE himself, so can we! --

No comments:

Post a Comment